Mattancherry palace located near Fort Kochi, Kerala was built and gifted by the Portuguese as a present to the king of Cochin around 1555 CE. The Dutch carried out extensions and renovations in 1663 CE, after which it came to be known as Dutch Palace.
The palace is home to one of the best and largest mural painting collections, dating back from 16th Century CE.
The palace built in Naalukettu style (the traditional Kerala style of architecture) with a courtyard in the middle, is interspersed with colonial design influences.
A temple dedicated to Pazhayannur Bhagavati is located in the central courtyard. There are two more temples on either side of the Palace, one dedicated to Krishna and the other to Siva.
#drive #heritage #nature