Shanta Durga temple, Kavlem, Goa, is located 31 km south-east of Panaji.
The current structure was built during 1713 CE to 1738 CE by Naroram Rege Mantri, under Maratha rule.
The architecture of the temple has eastern and western influences – with its pyramidical shape shikharas, maha mantapa, roman-arched windows, stained-glass panes, chandeliers, and balustraded dome.
The temple has an imposing Deepa Sthamba (lamp tower).
The original place of Shree Shantadurga devi was at Keloshi, Goa, from where the deity was shifted around 450 years ago to Kavlem to escape Portuguese atrocities.
#drive #heritage #nature
Spread the love