Mirjan Fort – located 11 km north of Kumta and 22 km south east of Gokarna (Karnataka) – was built in 16th century CE by Queen Chennabhaira Devi of Gersoppa, under the Vijayanagara Empire.
Rani Chennabhaira Devi, also known as the Pepper Queen, ruled for 54 years (1552 CE to 1606 CE) and used to live in the fort.
The fort is on the banks of Aghanashini River.
The fort had double-walled protection, high bastions and a moat once encircled the fort. The fort is in good shape, thanks to ASI.
#drive #nature #heritage